Re: How to type braces for computed gotos

Ivan Godard <ivan@ootbcomp.com>
Fri, 18 Jul 2014 21:59:05 -0700

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Best "simple" C Compiler I've ever seen andrewchamberss@gmail.com (2014-05-04)
How to type braces for computed gotos (was: Best "simple" C Compiler I federation2005@netzero.com (2014-07-18)
Re: How to type braces for computed gotos gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2014-07-19)
Re: How to type braces for computed gotos ivan@ootbcomp.com (Ivan Godard) (2014-07-18)
Re: How to type braces for computed gotos gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2014-07-21)
Re: How to type braces for computed gotos federation2005@netzero.com (2014-07-21)
Re: How to type braces for computed gotos wclodius@earthlink.net (2014-07-21)
Re: How to type braces for computed gotos gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2014-07-23)
Re: How to type braces for computed gotos wclodius@earthlink.net (2014-07-22)
Re: How to type braces for computed gotos anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2014-07-25)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Ivan Godard <ivan@ootbcomp.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 21:59:05 -0700
Posted-Date: 19 Jul 2014 11:34:35 EDT

> federation2005@netzero.com wrote:
>
> (snip)
>
>> There is one feature the compiler tests for that I assume the language also
>> has in it that I haven't seen much of before: the computed goto.

Mary2 had typed labels, that mimicked the common assembler practice of
"label int32 eat1;" declared a label variable in which the carried data
was an int32.

This made use of the Mary2 lack of operator precedence and strict
left-to-right evaluation. The "current operand" was the result of
evaluating everything to your left, and it formed the left operand of
the operation immediately to your right. The carried value of the goto
replaced the current operand of the expression containing the label. Thus:
        if pred() then a[i] + 1 go eat1;
        ...;
        x-y*z eat1: *2 =: w;
If pred() is true then the execution is:
        a[i]+1*2=:w;
while if false it is:
        x-y*z*2=:w;
Note the absence of precedence; that last turns into asm:
        load x
        load y
        sub
        load z
        mul
        con 2
        mul
        store w
or register machine equivalent.

The notion of "current operand" and the ability for control flow to
carry data was surprisingly useful, primarily because it permitted loops
to be value-yielding, as is appropriate in an expression language like
Mary. As a result, search loops did not need extraneous variables to
hold the value found for use after the loop. The actual goto form was
uncommon, but where appropriate it greatly simplified the code and
improved readability, and the result engendered a style that was vaguely
reminiscent of continuation-passing style.

One-pass compilation was near-trivial.
[Fortran had assigned goto, and Cobol had ALTER, but that still doesn't
mean it was a good idea. -John]