Re: specifying semantics, was Formatting of Language LRMs

Ivan Godard <ivan@ootbcomp.com>
Sun, 29 Jun 2014 11:49:00 -0700

          From comp.compilers

Re: specifying semantics, was Formatting of Language LRMs gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2014-06-26)
Re: specifying semantics, was Formatting of Language LRMs news@cuboid.co.uk (Andy Walker) (2014-06-28)
Re: specifying semantics, was Formatting of Language LRMs ivan@ootbcomp.com (Ivan Godard) (2014-06-28)
Re: specifying semantics, was Formatting of Language LRMs gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2014-06-28)
Re: specifying semantics, was Formatting of Language LRMs news@cuboid.co.uk (Andy Walker) (2014-06-29)
Re: specifying semantics, was Formatting of Language LRMs gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2014-06-29)
Re: specifying semantics, was Formatting of Language LRMs ivan@ootbcomp.com (Ivan Godard) (2014-06-29)
Re: specifying semantics, was Formatting of Language LRMs genew@telus.net (Gene Wirchenko) (2014-06-30)
Re: specifying semantics, was Formatting of Language LRMs ivan@ootbcomp.com (Ivan Godard) (2014-06-30)
Re: specifying semantics, was Formatting of Language LRMs anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2014-07-02)
Re: Algol history, was specifying semantics anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2014-07-03)
Re: specifying semantics, was Formatting of Language LRMs monnier@iro.umontreal.ca (Stefan Monnier) (2014-07-03)
Re: specifying semantics, was Formatting of Language LRMs genew@telus.net (Gene Wirchenko) (2014-07-03)

From: Ivan Godard <ivan@ootbcomp.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 11:49:00 -0700
Posted-Date: 29 Jun 2014 15:30:46 EDT

On 6/29/2014 4:56 AM, George Neuner wrote:

> Technically any grammar formalism is a denotational description of the
> syntax of the accepted/generated language. But I think what you
> really may be asking is whether a vW-grammar also is a semantic
> description of the language it describes.
>
> The only place I have seen a 2 level grammar used was in the original
> Algol68 report. Despite the inclusion of semantically meaningful
> terms like "inseparable" and "strongly", etc., in actuality the vW
> grammar in the report was used only for syntax specification. Language
> semantics were not described *using* the formalism but rather were
> given by accompanying text and only were *referenced* by the
> formalism.

Well, conventionally the type system of a language is considered
semantics, yet the whole Algol68 type system, including checking all
expressions for type validity, is present in the VWG. So while one can
say that any language definition mechanism is syntactic by definition,
that doesn't seem to be a useful definition to me.

BTW, I'm talking about the VWG in the *Revised* Report, which different
somewhat from that in the original report before the Great Schism.