optimizing compilers for low power design

idatarm@gmail.com
Sun, 15 Jun 2014 05:20:04 -0700 (PDT)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
optimizing compilers for low power design idatarm@gmail.com (2014-06-15)
Re: optimizing compilers for low power design kaz@kylheku.com (Kaz Kylheku) (2014-06-15)
Re: optimizing compilers for low power design ivan@ootbcomp.com (Ivan Godard) (2014-06-15)
Re: optimizing compilers for low power design Pidgeot18@verizon.com.invalid (2014-06-15)
Re: optimizing compilers for low power design derek@_NOSPAM_knosof.co.uk (Derek M. Jones) (2014-06-16)
Re: optimizing compilers for low power design walter@bytecraft.com (Walter Banks) (2014-06-16)
Re: optimizing compilers for low power design gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2014-06-18)

From: idatarm@gmail.com
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 05:20:04 -0700 (PDT)
Posted-Date: 15 Jun 2014 09:06:16 EDT

    Abstract: We describe an algorithm for optimizing compilers for low
    power design. The algorithm can be applied to almost any c compiler
    and in particular we target gcc compiler. The algorithm works by
    modifying optimization table lookup of gcc. This works in theory. We
    think such an algorithm will be able save at least 20% power. We
    compare with alternatives. We show it that idea is viable and
    theoretically prove that it will account for about 20% power savings.
    Another 40% of the power savings will come from branch prediction
    techniques based on profile guided optimization. Similarly, we
    optimize for size, which will produce 10% power savings. We believe
    our program will save power up to 75%

http://www.davesinvoice.com/papers/low%20power%20design%201.pdf