SSA conversion and closure conversion

Florian Weimer <>
Mon, 01 Jul 2013 21:36:26 +0200

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
SSA conversion and closure conversion (Florian Weimer) (2013-07-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Florian Weimer <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 21:36:26 +0200
Posted-Date: 03 Jul 2013 22:41:34 EDT

I'm trying to implement some program analysis (exact goals are still a
bit foggy) for a programming language which has mutable local
variables and closures. I want to convert things to SSA form because
I'm mostly interested in properties which could be easily extracted in
that representation, I think. I see three ways to deal with
closed-over variables: perform closure conversion first (and something
like scalar replacement later, to recover information on closed-over
variables), perform SSA conversion and insert phi nodes after
instructions which potentially call a closure, or somehow combine
closure conversion and SSA conversion.

Surely this has come up before, and I'm wondering which option is best
or if I'm missing some approach.