Re: Algol68 compiler (algol68toc) on Linux?

Andy Walker <news@cuboid.co.uk>
Thu, 28 Feb 2013 11:07:00 +0000

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Algol68 compiler (algol68toc) on Linux? janis_papanagnou@hotmail.com (Janis Papanagnou) (2013-01-29)
Algol68 compiler (algol68toc) on Linux? poenikatu@fastmail.co.uk (2013-01-31)
Re: Algol68 compiler (algol68toc) on Linux? kst-u@mib.org (Keith Thompson) (2013-02-25)
Re: Algol68 compiler (algol68toc) on Linux? news@cuboid.co.uk (Andy Walker) (2013-02-28)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Andy Walker <news@cuboid.co.uk>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.misc,comp.compilers
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 11:07:00 +0000
Posted-Date: 28 Feb 2013 16:08:30 EST

On 26/02/13 01:05, Keith Thompson wrote:
> Janis Papanagnou <janis_papanagnou@hotmail.com> writes:
>> Has anyone compiled and used [algol68toc ...]?
> It's probably a different package, but I've successfully used
> apt-get install algol68g

As you surmise, A68G is a completely different package; it has
the advantage that there are people around who read these groups and
are regular users of it ....

It's mostly "only" an interpreter, but it's plenty fast enough
for everything I've wanted it to do. It includes the things that most
A68 compilers of forty years ago left out [parallel processing and
formats in particular, but also a lot of compile- and run-time
checking], adds partial parametrisation [but not yet modals] as
described in "Algol Bulletin", and lots of extra library stuff, plus a
large PDF book/manual.

--
Andy Walker,
Nottingham.