Re: PL/I nostalgia

glen herrmannsfeldt <gah@ugcs.caltech.edu>
Wed, 19 Sep 2012 03:56:35 +0000 (UTC)

          From comp.compilers

Re: PL/I nostalgia robin51@dodo.com.au (robin) (2012-04-25)
Re: PL/I nostalgia gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2012-04-24)
Re: PL/I nostalgia robin51@dodo.com.au (robin) (2012-04-28)
Re: PL/I nostalgia gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2012-04-28)
Re: PL/I nostalgia bobduff@shell01.TheWorld.com (Robert A Duff) (2012-04-29)
Re: PL/I nostalgia robin51@dodo.com.au (robin) (2012-09-19)
Re: PL/I nostalgia gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2012-09-19)
Re: PL/I nostalgia robin51@dodo.com.au (robin) (2012-09-21)
Re: PL/I nostalgia gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2012-09-21)
Re: PL/I nostalgia robin51@dodo.com.au (robin) (2012-09-30)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: glen herrmannsfeldt <gah@ugcs.caltech.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 03:56:35 +0000 (UTC)
Posted-Date: 20 Sep 2012 22:51:10 EDT

robin <robin51@dodo.com.au> wrote:
>> [The code fron PL/I F was comparablw to Fortran G, but much worse than
>> Fortran H. The PL/I optimizing compiler's code was better, but still
>> not as good as Fortran H and its descendants. -John]

Well, the dynamically allocated variables and save areas for PL/I are
naturally slower than static allocated Fortran IV.

Also, many PL/I features naturally don't optimize as well as Fortran.

> Finally I have to hand Tucker's "Programming Languages".

I have one of those. Not my favorite, but not bad.
"History of Programming Languages" is better.

> Case study 2, matrix inversion with 20 x 20 data:

What page is that on?

> with IBM 370-145 FORTRAN (G) execution time 8.41 secs
> (H) execution time 5.28 secs.

> With IBM 370-145 PL/I (F) execution time 6.31 secs
> PL/I Optimiser execution time 5.77 secs.

> (refer to pages 112 and 279 for times)

Not in the second edition.

> However, in the case of the PL/I program, Tucker //omitted// to supply
> the option (REORDER) which is necessary to obtain full optimisation.
> Thus, the PL/I optimiser execution obtained was larger than it should
> have been.

When did that appear? I don't remember it in (F).

> It is clear that the times for FORTRAN (G) and PL/I(F) are equivalent,
> and that FORTRAN(H) and PL/I optimiser times are equivalent.

I suppose. A better test would use a larger matrix, though.

> As well as that, FORTRAN (H) required c. 150K of memory (i.e. a 256K
> machine) which was far more than the 128K that we had initially,
> whereas PL/I (F) required only 64K and IIRC FORTRAN (G) a little more.

If you really want to be fair, add the compilation time to the
run time, then see which one is faster.

-- glen