Morgan's loop-finding algorithm - typo/errata?

Thomas David Rivers <>
Fri, 24 Aug 2012 15:26:29 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Morgan's loop-finding algorithm - typo/errata? (Thomas David Rivers) (2012-08-24)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Thomas David Rivers <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 15:26:29 -0400
Posted-Date: 25 Aug 2012 02:38:10 EDT

I'm trying to follow-along on page 89 of Robert Morgan's "Building an
Optimizing Compiler" where he is describing the algorithm he has for
detecting single- and multi-entry loops.

He's being a little loose with the data types there - freely mixing
"LoopNodes" and "Blocks", and then I see his pseudo-code references
something called 'Z', in this line:

        LoopEntry(X) = Z;

but - Z doesn't appear to be defined anywhere..

This makes me think I have an older edition - but I couldn't find any
newer printing, and I couldn't find an errata anywhere.

Does anyone pointers to an errata? Does anyone have contact info for
Mr. Morgan?

          - Thanks! -
      - Dave Rivers -

p.s. I checked on Amazon - the book is going for more than $450 these
days! Maybe I should just hold on to my two copies and use them for
my retirement one day!

-- Work: (919) 676-0847