Re: Some problem about the elf file while generating the code for compiler

Robert A Duff <bobduff@shell01.TheWorld.com>
Thu, 07 Jun 2012 15:55:56 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Some problem about the elf file while generating the code for compiler hujianfei258@gmail.com (Jianfei Hu) (2012-06-07)
Re: Some problem about the elf file while generating the code for comp bobduff@shell01.TheWorld.com (Robert A Duff) (2012-06-07)
Re: Some problem about the elf file while generating the code for comp cr88192@hotmail.com (BGB) (2012-06-09)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Robert A Duff <bobduff@shell01.TheWorld.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2012 15:55:56 -0400
Posted-Date: 08 Jun 2012 17:24:48 EDT

Jianfei Hu <hujianfei258@gmail.com> writes:

> Recently I plan to build a simple compiler by myself. When it comes to
> elf file generation, I got a problem.

You might want to side-step that problem by having your compiler
generate assembly language as text. And then feed that to an
assembler. If your purpose is to learn about compilers, then this
allows you to learn the interesting and important stuff, while
avoiding learning boring nitty-gritty details, such as the one you
mentioned.

> You might take a look at my Linkers and Loaders book, ...

Good idea in any case -- it's an excellent book.

- Bob