New textbook: Practical Compiler Construction

"Nils M Holm" <>
Tue, 13 Mar 2012 18:56:17 +0100

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
New textbook: Practical Compiler Construction (Nils M Holm) (2012-03-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Nils M Holm" <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 18:56:17 +0100
Posted-Date: 14 Mar 2012 00:29:25 EDT

I am happy to announce my latest textbook,

A No-nonsense Tour through a C Compiler

which is now available at (Paperback book) (PDF download)

See also: (Contents, source code, etc)

The book illuminates the practical side of compiler construction and
takes the reader on a tour through the full source code of a compiler
for a C subset.

It is a book for seasoned programmers with little or no background in

Theory will be covered when necessary, but the focus is always on
actual code. The compiler discussed in the book is a clean and simple
implementation that does not "bend the rules" like many other small C
compilers. Its sources pass gcc -Wall -pedantic with little or no
warnings (depending on the gcc version).

The compiler and runtime environment is designed to run on FreeBSD on
a 386 processor, but it should be easy to port it to other popular
Unix-like systems, e.g. Linux.

The complete code from the book is in the public domain and can be
downloaded at

Nils M Holm < n m h @ t 3 x . o r g >