Re: Ignore break line sometimes

glen herrmannsfeldt <gah@ugcs.caltech.edu>
Mon, 20 Feb 2012 08:09:07 +0000 (UTC)

          From comp.compilers

Re: Ignore break line sometimes gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2012-02-11)
Re: Ignore break line sometimes monnier@iro.umontreal.ca (Stefan Monnier) (2012-02-12)
Re: Ignore break line sometimes Pidgeot18@verizon.invalid (Joshua Cranmer) (2012-02-12)
Re: Ignore break line sometimes kaz@kylheku.com (Kaz Kylheku) (2012-02-13)
Re: Ignore break line sometimes bc@freeuk.com (BartC) (2012-02-14)
Re: Ignore break line sometimes genew@ocis.net (Gene Wirchenko) (2012-02-19)
Re: Ignore break line sometimes gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2012-02-20)
Re: Ignore break line sometimes arnold@skeeve.com (2012-02-23)
Re: Ignore break line sometimes jthorn@astro.indiana.edu (Jonathan Thornburg) (2012-02-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: glen herrmannsfeldt <gah@ugcs.caltech.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 08:09:07 +0000 (UTC)
Posted-Date: 22 Feb 2012 03:17:06 EST

Gene Wirchenko <genew@ocis.net> wrote:
(snip, someone wrote)
>> There are more than a few people who believe that this
>> feature should not have been implemented.

> There is a bit more to this. As a result of this kludge, it is
> illegal to have newlines at certain points in some statements.
> For example:

> return
> <expression which I decided to put all on its own line>;
> is not legal. It is not permitted to have a newline immediately after
> "return".

Sounds about like the way IBM's JCL from OS/360 and successors works.

You can split a statement after a comma in most cases, and continue
it on the next line, after the usual // and some spaces.

I believe the original (early) versions had a more usual system
with a continuation character in column 72, and then start the
next statement in column 16. I presume it was found hard to get
right so they changed it.

I believe that there are a few other languages with a similar
continuation method. That is, if you end a statement in a legal
end, no continuation is needed.

-- glen