LRSTAR 3.0: LALR(k) parser generator & lexer generator for C++

Paul B Mann <paul@paulbmann.com>
Tue, 7 Feb 2012 14:47:17 -0800 (PST)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
LRSTAR 3.0: LALR(k) parser generator & lexer generator for C++ paul@paulbmann.com (Paul B Mann) (2012-02-07)
Re: LRSTAR 3.0: LALR(k) parser generator & lexer generator for C++ sgk@REMOVEtroutmask.apl.washington.edu (Steven G. Kargl) (2012-02-08)
Re: LRSTAR 3.0: LALR(k) parser generator & lexer generator for C++ haberg-news@telia.com (Hans Aberg) (2012-02-09)
Re: LRSTAR 3.0: LALR(k) parser generator & lexer generator for C++ paul@paulbmann.com (Paul B Mann) (2012-02-10)
Re: LRSTAR 3.0: LALR(k) parser generator & lexer generator for C++ sgk@REMOVEtroutmask.apl.washington.edu (Steven G. Kargl) (2012-02-11)
Re: LRSTAR 3.0: LALR(k) parser generator & lexer generator for C++ gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2012-02-12)

From: Paul B Mann <paul@paulbmann.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 14:47:17 -0800 (PST)
Posted-Date: 07 Feb 2012 22:23:51 EST

LRSTAR is a fast LALR(k) parser generator for C/C++ programmers, that
builds very fast compilers and language processors by using
compressed-matrix parser tables. Creates compiler front-ends that
read source code at 1,000,000 lines per second.

LRSTAR reads the powerful TBNF grammar notation which facilitates
building an AST automatically and other advanced functionality.
Solves the "typedef" problem in C grammars.

The compiler front-end source code is in C++, however, a user may re-
write the skeleton file in another language, such as C, C#, Java, and
then generate code in that language. Contains Microsoft Visual Studio
C/C++ work spaces.

DFASTAR and DFAC lexer generators are included in the downloads.
These generate very fast DFA lexical analyzers which read 30,000,000
tokens per second -- twice the speed of Flex.

LRSTAR is "open source" now, BSD license. A windows version is
available at:

http://compilerware.com (the website) and
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lrstar/

No one has ported it to Unix or Linux yet. It may be 99% portable.
It was written with Microsoft Visual
Studio 2008 C++, however, I try to make my code portable.

To accomplish LALR(k) it uses nondeterminism only for those states
that are not LALR(1), so it's mostly LALR(1) and the parsers are small
and fast.

Comments are welcome and appreciated.

Paul B Mann