Re: push lexer?

Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson <>
Mon, 30 Jan 2012 23:28:09 +0000

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
push lexer? (Detlef Bosau) (2012-01-17)
Re: push lexer? (Hans Aberg) (2012-01-17)
Re: push lexer? (Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson) (2012-01-30)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 23:28:09 +0000
Posted-Date: 30 Jan 2012 23:28:27 EST

Hans Aberg <> writes:

> On 2012/01/17 10:28, John Levine wrote:
>>> Bison 2.5 has a "push api".
>>> Does there exist something similar for lex of flex or does
>>> somebody know a "push scanner"?
>> [Not that I've ever seen. It would be straightforward to modify
>> flex to create push lexers that work with push parsers, but so far
>> nobody's done it. -John]
> FYI, Flex is currently not maintained or developed.

> [That's true, but it's sitting at Sourceforge, ready for anyone who
> wants to pick it up. -John]

There is also Reflex, maintained by Thomas Dickey at

He is most likely known as the guy behind ncurses and xterm.

I use Reflex among other things because I do use the -P flag too -- it
is broken in SourceForge Flex.

      Johann Oskarsson |[]
      PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training and Services --+--