ANN: Voodoo Compiler v1.0.0 Released

Robbert Haarman <voodoo@inglorion.net>
Sat, 14 Jan 2012 10:40:48 -0800

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
ANN: Voodoo Compiler v1.0.0 Released voodoo@inglorion.net (Robbert Haarman) (2012-01-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Robbert Haarman <voodoo@inglorion.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 10:40:48 -0800
Posted-Date: 14 Jan 2012 15:18:19 EST

Hello everyone,

I have just released version 1.0.0 of the Voodoo compiler, hosted at
http://voodoo-compiler.sourceforge.net/

Changes
-------

* ARM code generator: The compiler can now generate assembly and ELF
    object code for the ARM architecture.

* Improved error reporting: more errors are detected, and errors are
    reported in easier to understand error messages.

* Validator module: this new module can be used to validate generated
    Voodoo code. It is used by the parser to validate parsed code.

* Feature interface: features of the implementation can be queried both
    programmatically and from the command line.

About Voodoo
------------

Voodoo is a programming language designed to be a thin abstraction layer
over the native instructions of your CPU, without getting in the way.
This way, Voodoo can be used as a target language for compilers,
providing good performance and support for multiple platforms, without
requiring the compiler writer to implement a full back-end for every
target platform. As such, the primary audience for Voodoo is programming
language implementors. A description of the Voodoo programming language
can be found at http://inglorion.net/documents/designs/voodoo/

The Voodoo compiler is an implementation of the Voodoo programming
language, currently supporting i386, AMD64, ARM, and MIPS (little-endian
and big-endian). It provides a compiler program that compiles Voodoo
source code to machine code for multiple target platforms, as well as a
Ruby module that can be used to generate machine code without the
intermediate step of Voodoo source code.

Future Directions
-----------------

Now that 1.0.0 is out, we have a stable basis for writing documentation,
benchmarks and performance enhancements, and building languages on top
of Voodoo.

Also planned are support for allocation of memory on the stack, non-local
control flow (useful for implementing exceptions), unsigned arithmetic,
and support for integers of specific bit sizes (e.g. integers that
are stored in 16 bits of memory, regardless of machine word size).

If you have any feedback or questions about Voodoo, please let me know.

Thanks for reading, and have a nice day!

Kind regards,

Bob