Re: programming in PL/I
Thu, 12 Jan 2012 16:30:06 -0000

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: Parser generator (2012-01-08)
Re: Parser generator (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2012-01-08)
Re: Parser generator (2012-01-11)
Re: programming in PL/I (2012-01-12)
Re: programming in PL/I (Robert AH Prins) (2012-01-14)
Re: programming in PL/I (Derek M. Jones) (2012-01-14)
Re: programming in PL/I (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2012-01-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 16:30:06 -0000
Posted-Date: 13 Jan 2012 20:48:44 EST

On Thu Jan 12 07:18:12 2012 wrote:

> Is there a reason to prefer PL/I over C++ or Java?

Yes, several. It would be more relevant to ask if PL/I is preferable to C
since PL/I is not an object oriented language, is suitable for systems
programming (usually has but does not necessarily require a runtime), does
not have garbage collection, implementations don't use a VM, etc.

People coming from IBM envionments usually don't have any C experience but
often do have a reasonable working knowledge of PL/I or at least exposure to
it. PL/I is more powerful than C, is older, has good optimizing compilers
available, and I personally prefer it. About the only advantage of C over
PL/I is C usually has some provision for dropping into assembler. PL/I
doesn't offer this feature.

As usual, it comes down to what tools are available on your target platforms
and what you prefer.