Re: Language Design for a tiny processor

"BartC" <bc@freeuk.com>
Mon, 8 Aug 2011 22:54:59 +0100

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Language Design 81282ed9a88799d21e77957df2d84bd6514d9af6@myhashism (Billy Mays) (2011-07-18)
Re: Language Design for a tiny processor bc@freeuk.com (BartC) (2011-08-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "BartC" <bc@freeuk.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 22:54:59 +0100
Posted-Date: 08 Aug 2011 18:03:04 EDT

"Billy Mays" <81282ed9a88799d21e77957df2d84bd6514d9af6@myhashismyemail.com>
> I am trying to design a programming language for a simple processor
> (16 bit, ~10 instructions, 16 registers). I am not sure what a
> language actually needs in order to be more useful than pure assembly,
> but is also reasonable to implement.
>
> I had originally tried to make a RPN style language where the language
> is purely stack based, but I realized it wouldn't be Turing complete.
> I'd rather not just re implement C or other commonly used languages,
> but I'm having a hard time coming up with something I'd actually want
> to use.

Is this a commercially available processor with a part-number, or something
you are also creating (or perhaps exists only in an emulator)?

Having a look at the instruction set (with only ten instructions, you could
just list them...) it might make it easier to offer advice on what sort of
language might be viable and whether it would make programming much easier.

--
Bartc