Re: Language Design

tm <thomas.mertes@gmx.at>
Wed, 27 Jul 2011 08:11:59 -0700 (PDT)

          From comp.compilers

Re: Language Design anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2011-07-19)
Re: Language Design zwinkau@kit.edu (Andreas Zwinkau) (2011-07-20)
Re: Language Design acolvin@efunct.com (mac) (2011-07-23)
Re: Language Design christophe.de.dinechin@gmail.com (Christophe de Dinechin) (2011-07-23)
Re: Language Design osesov@gmail.com (Oleg Sesov) (2011-07-23)
Re: Language Design gene.ressler@gmail.com (Gene) (2011-07-26)
Re: Language Design thomas.mertes@gmx.at (tm) (2011-07-27)
Re: Language Design usenet@rwaltman.com (Roberto Waltman) (2011-07-28)
Re: Language Design s_dubrovich@yahoo.com (s_dubrovich@yahoo.com) (2011-08-04)
Re: Language Design torbenm@diku.dk (2011-08-08)
Language design David.Chase@Eng.Sun.COM (1991-09-04)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: tm <thomas.mertes@gmx.at>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 08:11:59 -0700 (PDT)
Posted-Date: 27 Jul 2011 16:49:42 EDT

On 18 Jul., 22:16, Billy Mays
<81282ed9a88799d21e77957df2d84bd6514d9...@myhashismyemail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to design a programming language for a simple processor
> (16 bit, ~10 instructions, 16 registers).

You are trying to do two things simultaneously: Designing a language
and implementing it for a processor. I suggest you concentrate on one
part. Either implement an existing language, like C, for this
processor, or design a language and forget about the processor.

When you implement an existing language you can build on the work of
others. Perhaps you can modify an existing compiler and use existing
libraries and documentation. Writing a runtime library is usually
much more work than writing a compiler. For an existing language you
can also expect to find helping hands and useful information in the
internet.

When you design a language your implementation can use an interpreter
or you compile to some well known base, like C or JVM. This way you
can also build on the work of others.

Your language needs features, that are not present or not well
supported in other languages. Otherwise people will not be
interested. Getting other people interested might not be your goal,
but it can lead to helping hands (this was the reason, why I released
Seed7).

> Any advice for a newbie?

If you a relly a newbie, I suggest you start with a simpler project.

Greetings Thomas Mertes