Re: Language Design

Roberto Waltman <usenet@rwaltman.com>
Mon, 18 Jul 2011 18:10:56 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Language Design 81282ed9a88799d21e77957df2d84bd6514d9af6@myhashism (Billy Mays) (2011-07-18)
Re: Language Design usenet@rwaltman.com (Roberto Waltman) (2011-07-18)
Re: Language Design sinu.nayak2001@gmail.com (Srinivas Nayak) (2011-07-18)
Re: Language Design anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2011-07-19)
Re: Language Design zwinkau@kit.edu (Andreas Zwinkau) (2011-07-20)
Re: Language Design acolvin@efunct.com (mac) (2011-07-23)
Re: Language Design christophe.de.dinechin@gmail.com (Christophe de Dinechin) (2011-07-23)
Re: Language Design osesov@gmail.com (Oleg Sesov) (2011-07-23)

From: Roberto Waltman <usenet@rwaltman.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 18:10:56 -0400
Posted-Date: 19 Jul 2011 01:46:44 EDT

  Billy Mays wrote:
>I am trying to design a programming language for a simple processor
>(16 bit, ~10 instructions, 16 registers). I am not sure what a
>language actually needs in order to be more useful than pure assembly,
>but is also reasonable to implement.
>
>I had originally tried to make a RPN style language where the language
>is purely stack based, but I realized it wouldn't be Turing complete.
>I'd rather not just re implement C or other commonly used languages,
>but I'm having a hard time coming up with something I'd actually want
>to use.
>
>Any advice for a newbie?

Start were newbies like you (and me) should. These books describe
simple compilers that could be ported to a new processor in a
reasonably short time. [ Sorry, they are "C or other commonly used
languages" ]

"Brinch Hansen on Pascal Compilers" - P.B.Hansen
"Compiler Construction" - N. Wirth
The 2nd is available on-line, as well as the "Small-C" compiler.
--
Roberto Waltman