The STEP Preprocessor

glen herrmannsfeldt <>
Tue, 12 Jul 2011 06:39:37 +0000 (UTC)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
The STEP Preprocessor (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2011-07-12)
Re: The STEP Preprocessor (Marco) (2011-07-16)
Re: The STEP Preprocessor (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2011-08-02)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: glen herrmannsfeldt <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 06:39:37 +0000 (UTC)
Posted-Date: 12 Jul 2011 07:05:06 EDT

Many years ago I worked with the STEP Preprocessor.

It was first described to me as a form of Compiler-Compiler,
but it seems more like a Preprocessor-Compiler. (It runs more
like an interpreter than is usual for a compiler.)

In case anyone is interested, the manual is now online at:

Unlike many preprocessors, the macro form can describe the
exact grammar required, process appropriately or print error
messages, and generate any required output.

I now have the source code (in Fortran-66, and in an extended
Fortran processed by STEP macros.) I hope soon to send it to
the software archive of bitsavers.

Not that I follow preprocessors so carefully, but I don't know
of anything at all similar done since then (about 1977).

-- glen