Re: Third party compiler middle and back-end

"BartC" <bc@freeuk.com>
Sat, 23 Oct 2010 12:21:20 +0100

          From comp.compilers

Re: Third party compiler middle and back-end gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2010-10-18)
Re: Third party compiler middle and back-end cr88192@hotmail.com (BGB / cr88192) (2010-10-18)
Re: Third party compiler middle and back-end redbrain@gcc.gnu.org (Philip Herron) (2010-10-19)
Re: Third party compiler middle and back-end cr88192@hotmail.com (BGB / cr88192) (2010-10-19)
Re: Third party compiler middle and back-end gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2010-10-22)
Re: Third party compiler middle and back-end bc@freeuk.com (BartC) (2010-10-22)
Re: Third party compiler middle and back-end bc@freeuk.com (BartC) (2010-10-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "BartC" <bc@freeuk.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 12:21:20 +0100
Posted-Date: 24 Oct 2010 23:44:14 EDT

"Mike Playle" <usenet@vfx.org.uk> wrote in message
> On 09/10/10 03:57, Daniel Zazula wrote:
>> I want to write a compiler that generates assembly, but I do not know
>> assembly, I've already started studying the FASM, but it will take
>> much time to learn everything I need to know in order to write a
>> decent back-end.
> [...]
>> Any suggestions?
>
> LLVM. http://llvm.org/
>
> Their "how to implement a language" tutorial might be of interest:
>
> http://llvm.org/docs/tutorial/LangImpl1.html

LLVM is huge: some 40 or 50 documentation sets of reference manuals
and user guides.

I clicked on your link, hoping to find a simple approach, and on the
very first page I was immediately confused as to whether the code in
boxes was the language they are compiling, or the implementation code
(which looked like C++).

(This tutorial also gets complicated quite rapidly, and it's not even
clear until the end just how much of a toy language it is that they
are compiling.)

So LLVM is not for everybody; some people prefer tools on a much
smaller scale, don't like C++, or have a project with unusual
requirements (and I qualify on all three...)

--
Bartc