Re: Third party compiler middle and back-end

"BGB / cr88192" <cr88192@hotmail.com>
Tue, 19 Oct 2010 13:08:29 -0700

          From comp.compilers

Re: Third party compiler middle and back-end FredJScipione@alum.RPI.edu (Fred J. Scipione) (2010-10-13)
Re: Third party compiler middle and back-end danielzazula@gmail.com (Daniel Zazula) (2010-10-17)
Re: Third party compiler middle and back-end gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2010-10-17)
Re: Third party compiler middle and back-end gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2010-10-18)
Re: Third party compiler middle and back-end cr88192@hotmail.com (BGB / cr88192) (2010-10-18)
Re: Third party compiler middle and back-end redbrain@gcc.gnu.org (Philip Herron) (2010-10-19)
Re: Third party compiler middle and back-end cr88192@hotmail.com (BGB / cr88192) (2010-10-19)
Re: Third party compiler middle and back-end gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2010-10-22)
Re: Third party compiler middle and back-end bc@freeuk.com (BartC) (2010-10-22)
Re: Third party compiler middle and back-end bc@freeuk.com (BartC) (2010-10-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "BGB / cr88192" <cr88192@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 13:08:29 -0700
Posted-Date: 22 Oct 2010 01:07:52 EDT

"George Neuner" <gneuner2@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 04:37:12 -0700 (PDT), Daniel Zazula
> <danielzazula@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

>>C static nature won't allow me to use it as an intermediary language,
>
> In fact, probably it will.

I will second this.

Although C seems fairly static, it is really fairly easy to implement
dynamic typing in the language (although, the bigger difficulty is
designing the "ideal" interface WRT the
performance/ease-of-use/... space).

flexible OO is also fairly easy to implement (actually, it is easier to
implement "soft" OO strategies than it is to implement an analogue of more
traditional static class/instance OO).

> With the exception of your object model - which you haven't described
> much at all - the rest of your language is a simple "continuation
> passing style" (CPS) functional model. There are a few stack
> management tricks needed to efficiently implement CPS code in C, but
> it is not difficult to do.
>
> For inspiration you can investigate Scheme-> and Lisp-> compilers.
> There are a number of them that work by first transforming the program
> into a CPS form and then compiling that to C.

yeah.

a vaguely CPS-like strategy is also commonly used IME when implementing
interpreters, as it frees up having to retain a large amount of state
"hidden" in the interpreters' machinery, and also avoids internal recursion
(a 'call' opcode does not mean the interpreter itself needs to make a call).

hence, most of the program state is left folded up in a 'context', and
execution can be stopped or resumed wherever it is convinient.

it is a little more awkward to generate C code which uses this strategy, but
it can be done.
the main change is that, rather than producing code which proceeds linearly
and recursively, one breaks up the code into individual blocks, typically
giving each its own function (each block in this case lacks both internal
jumps/loops, as well as any direct calls or returns).

typically, a function/block will return a structure representing the next
block to be executed, or the function to be called, ... as well as possibly
the arguments to be passed (for now, we can ignore "native" argument
passing, instead all arguments can be passed as, say, an array of