Re: Third party compiler middle and back-end

Philip Herron <redbrain@gcc.gnu.org>
Sun, 10 Oct 2010 14:22:12 +0100

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Third party compiler middle and back-end danielzazula@gmail.com (Daniel Zazula) (2010-10-08)
Re: Third party compiler middle and back-end gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2010-10-10)
Re: Third party compiler middle and back-end usenet@vfx.org.uk (Mike Playle) (2010-10-10)
Re: Third party compiler middle and back-end redbrain@gcc.gnu.org (Philip Herron) (2010-10-10)
Re: Third party compiler middle and back-end cr88192@hotmail.com (BGB / cr88192) (2010-10-10)
Re: Third party compiler middle and back-end jm@bourguet.org (Jean-Marc Bourguet) (2010-10-11)
Re: Third party compiler middle and back-end j.o.williams.jow@gmail.com (James O. Williams) (2010-10-11)
Re: Third party compiler middle and back-end gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2010-10-12)
Re: Third party compiler middle and back-end bobduff@shell01.TheWorld.com (Robert A Duff) (2010-10-13)
Re: Third party compiler middle and back-end cr88192@hotmail.com (BGB / cr88192) (2010-10-13)

From: Philip Herron <redbrain@gcc.gnu.org>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 14:22:12 +0100
Posted-Date: 11 Oct 2010 00:33:40 EDT

On 9 October 2010 03:57, Daniel Zazula <danielzazula@gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to write a compiler that generates assembly, but I do not know
> assembly, I've already started studying the FASM, but it will take
> much time to learn everything I need to know in order to write a
> decent back-end.
>
> So I though about using a third party back-end, I would write the
> front-end that parse the language into a intermediate code and leave
> the rest to the back-end. I gave a look at GCC but it is too big, too
> vast and too complex for what I want. Microsoft's Phoenix also don't
> work for me since it generates CIL.
>
> The back-end that I'm looking for needs to generate at least x86
> Assembly (although I prefer Amd64), I don't mind if it generates other
> assemblies as well. I prefer back-ends written in C# or Object Pascal,
> but I will also accept C/C++ ones.

Gcc isn't as 'vast and as complex as you think' my GSOC project was to
write a python front-end which i am still working on and many people
since it have started writing their own front-ends and the best part
is along with the help of the community we have worked to build up and
flesh out the gcc-front-end documentation. Its not all finished but it
will most definetly be more than enough to get someone started.

I would highly reccomend gcc over llvm for language development any
day. GCC you have much more freedom in how you want to build your
front-end llvm is very tied up i've found.

For more info on my stuff check out:
http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/PythonFrontEnd dont expect the python fe to be
100% its actually got alot more features working than some may think,
but my lexer is extremely buggy and i dont really have the
patients/time to work on it for a while since i am more interested in
getting more of the core stuff working fully.

--Phil