Re: Updating from bison 1.24 to 2.4.1

"Joel E. Denny" <joeldenny@joeldenny.org>
Thu, 29 Jul 2010 20:50:10 -0400 (EDT)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Updating from bison 1.24 to 2.4.1 soeren.zimmermann@sef.de (Tuggi) (2010-07-23)
Re: Updating from bison 1.24 to 2.4.1 haberg-news@telia.com (Hans Aberg) (2010-07-25)
Re: Updating from bison 1.24 to 2.4.1 gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2010-07-26)
Re: Updating from bison 1.24 to 2.4.1 gene.ressler@gmail.com (Gene) (2010-07-27)
Re: Updating from bison 1.24 to 2.4.1 gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2010-07-28)
Re: Updating from bison 1.24 to 2.4.1 joeldenny@joeldenny.org (Joel E. Denny) (2010-07-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Joel E. Denny" <joeldenny@joeldenny.org>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 20:50:10 -0400 (EDT)
Posted-Date: 30 Jul 2010 10:48:10 EDT

Hi George,

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010, George Neuner wrote:

> Now I had never tried using "--warnings", and now I have come to find
> out that it doesn't work. bison 2.4.1 - the 2.4._ I have available -
> recognizes the option syntax, but none of the flags I tried appeared
> to have any effect.

I would like to fix this for Bison 2.4.3, which I plan to release very
soon. Would you please report it to bug-bison@gnu.org? Please tell us
exactly what you tried that didn't work.

> Oh well. Here's hoping it works in 2.4.2.

I don't recall hearing of this bug before now, so nothing in this area has
likely changed.

> Since M4 entered the picture, building bison is
> a painful chore ...

I'd be happy to hear more detail here as well. I don't know that I can
improve your situation, but I'd at least like to be aware of the trouble
you're having.
[I found the same problem in 2.4.1. Make a trivial grammar with a R/R
conflict, run it through bison with -Werror, and the return code is still
zero. -John]