Re: Help with Yacc reduce/reduce conflict

Paul Mann <paul@paulbmann.com>
Thu, 1 Jul 2010 17:51:26 -0700 (PDT)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Help with Yacc reduce/reduce conflict warren.toomey@gmail.com (Warren) (2010-06-21)
Re: Help with Yacc reduce/reduce conflict gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2010-06-23)
Re: Help with Yacc reduce/reduce conflict kym@sdf.lonestar.org (russell kym horsell) (2010-06-24)
Re: Help with Yacc reduce/reduce conflict paul@paulbmann.com (Paul Mann) (2010-07-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Paul Mann <paul@paulbmann.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 17:51:26 -0700 (PDT)
Posted-Date: 01 Jul 2010 23:37:38 EDT

I found this in your yacc grammar:

          assignment
          : left_hand_side assignment_operator assignment_expression
          | left_hand_side EQEQ assignment_expression
              /* XXX: The above rule causes 4 reduce/reduce conflicts */
              /* Code here to warn about == in assignments */
          | left_hand_side assignment_operator error
          ;

I would remove the line with the EQEQ in it. While the C language
allows the statement:

          a == b;

It is really a conditional-statement and not an assignment statement.
Outside of an if-statement it does nothing, unless you have something
like this:

          a == b++;

I would not allow EQEQ to be used as an assignment operator (it's not
one). Also I would not allow conditional-expressions like this one to
exist outside of if-statements.

If you do as I suggest, then the assignment statement:

          a == b;

would cause a syntax error at the '=='

To handle the other problem:

        if (a = b) ...

I would not allow an expression inside of an if-statement unless it
were a conditional-expression (which would have to contain a
conditional- operator).

This would cause a syntax error at the ')' and force the student to
code:

or

          if (a == b) ...

Whatever the student was attempting to express. I think it can be
done in the grammar, as long as you make a distinction between
expressions and conditional-expressions, and where they can be used.

Paul B Mann