Re: literature on syntax directed translation

Gene <gene.ressler@gmail.com>
Mon, 14 Jun 2010 18:57:13 -0700 (PDT)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
literature on syntax directed translation comp.compilers@h-rd.org (Marc) (2010-06-14)
Re: literature on syntax directed translation gene.ressler@gmail.com (Gene) (2010-06-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Gene <gene.ressler@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 18:57:13 -0700 (PDT)
Posted-Date: 17 Jun 2010 13:14:27 EDT

On Jun 14, 5:43 am, Marc <comp.compil...@h-rd.org> wrote:
> I am looking for references on syntax directed translation. My literature
> review primarily gave articles from the sixties, but not so much recently.
> I would be glad to get references, especially for books.

> [I think these days it's (somewhat wrongly) considered to be obvious, so
> you only learn about it implicitly in simple code generators. -John]

As John says... One way to go is study attribute evaluation and then
realize that SDT is just attribute evaluation over an L-attributed
grammar. Most basic compiler construction textbooks cover it this
way. My personal favorite treatment for the first exposure is
Louden's. After that, the dragon book (Aho, Sethi, Ulman) will make
additional sense.