Re: How to implement lexical closures?

George Neuner <gneuner2@comcast.net>
Mon, 17 May 2010 00:54:03 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Re: How to implement lexical closures? cr88192@hotmail.com (BGB / cr88192) (2010-05-12)
Re: How to implement lexical closures? gene.ressler@gmail.com (Gene) (2010-05-12)
Re: How to implement lexical closures? gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2010-05-13)
Re: How to implement lexical closures? gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2010-05-15)
Re: How to implement lexical closures? gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2010-05-16)
Re: How to implement lexical closures? gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2010-05-17)
Re: How to implement lexical closures? cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2010-05-17)
Re: PL/I, was How to implement lexical closures? genew@ocis.net (Gene Wirchenko) (2010-05-17)
Re: How to implement lexical closures? gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2010-05-19)
Re: How to implement lexical closures? anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2010-05-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: George Neuner <gneuner2@comcast.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 00:54:03 -0400
Posted-Date: 17 May 2010 00:57:03 EDT

On Sun, 16 May 2010 09:00:32 +0000 (UTC), glen herrmannsfeldt
<gah@ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:

>In PL/I you can assign an ENTRY variable the value of an internal
>procedure, and pass it to another procedure. You can then use the
>variable until the procedure that assigned it returns.

That's what I thought I remembered, but I wasn't sure.

In my mind, PL/I's entry variables are lumped in with the limited
procedure/function pointers in the extended Pascals, but ISTM that in
PL/I you could pass an entry variable to a procedure in another thread
so long as its context remained in the first thread. Am I remembering
that right or am I all wet?

I never really got into PL/I ... Pascal was big when I started
programming. I didn't have access to PL/I on a big machine and I
didn't think the micro versions offered enough beyond what was
available in the extended Pascals. Then When Ada and Modula-3 came
along PL/I sort of fell out of my consciousness.

George
[That sounds right, but it depends on the version of PL/I. I have the impenetrable
1976 PL/I standard and don't see anything about threads. -John]