Re: Business of Compilers

Tom Crick <tc@cs.bath.ac.uk>
Sun, 16 May 2010 23:50:46 +0100

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Business of Compilers seimarao@gmail.com (Seima Rao) (2010-05-16)
Re: Business of Compilers walter@bytecraft.com (Walter Banks) (2010-05-16)
Re: Business of Compilers jgd@cix.compulink.co.uk (2010-05-16)
Re: Business of Compilers cr88192@hotmail.com (BGB / cr88192) (2010-05-16)
Re: Business of Compilers tc@cs.bath.ac.uk (Tom Crick) (2010-05-16)
Re: Business of Compilers cr88192@hotmail.com (BGB / cr88192) (2010-05-17)
Re: Business of Compilers jeremy.wright@microfocus.com (Jeremy Wright) (2010-05-18)
Re: Business of Compilers jeremy.bennett@embecosm.com (Jeremy Bennett) (2010-05-20)
Re: Business of Compilers cr88192@hotmail.com (BGB / cr88192) (2010-05-21)
Re: Business of Compilers walter@bytecraft.com (Walter Banks) (2010-05-21)
Re: Business of Compilers scooter.phd@gmail.com (scooter.phd@gmail.com) (2010-05-26)

From: Tom Crick <tc@cs.bath.ac.uk>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 23:50:46 +0100
Posted-Date: 16 May 2010 20:58:33 EDT

Seima Rao wrote:
> Twenty years ago, there was buzz surrounding compilers in the ISV segment.
>
> I am eager to know what business opportunities are available in the field
> of compiler technology nowadays. Is it possible to run a company
> purely by selling compiler technology? How sustainable would be
> such an enterprise? What compiler products can possible be sold
> these days?
>
> [There seems to be a lot of compiler activity in India, less here in the US. I can
> think of a few standalone compiler tech companies that have been around for a while,
> but no new ones. Perhaps people in the biz can comment. -John]

I recently attended a meeting organised by HiPEAC, the European
Network of Excellence on High Performance and Embedded Architecture
and Compilation [http://www.hipeac.net] and they were some
presentations from industry; the topic of the number of companies
solely providing compiler technology was raised by a representative
from ACE Associated Compiler Experts [http://www.ace.nl]. They
estimated that in 2002 they were aware of c.120 companies selling
compiler technology; today only c.70, with most having ceased trading
or been taken over and taken in-house by bigger tech firms.

And that it is only possible to make money by proving
services/solutions/consultancy rather than by simply developing a
toolchain.

Tom