Re: Regular Expression "Terms"

Chris F Clark <cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com>
Tue, 11 May 2010 14:01:51 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Regular Expression "Terms" cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2010-05-06)
Re: Regular Expression "Terms" lee.benfield@gmail.com (lab27) (2010-05-09)
Re: Regular Expression "Terms" rpboland@gmail.com (Ralph Boland) (2010-05-10)
Re: Regular Expression "Terms" gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2010-05-11)
Re: Regular Expression "Terms" cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2010-05-11)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Chris F Clark <cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 14:01:51 -0400
Posted-Date: 12 May 2010 00:57:32 EDT

lab27 <lee.benfield@gmail.com> writes:

> * is "Kleene Closure". + is often just called Kleene+. A regular
> expression without Kleene closure is a "Network Expression".

Thanks for the Network Expression term. It is exactly what I was
looking for. I just haven't looked enough at the Computational Biology
work recently--it's just over my horizon and probably shouldn't be.

BTW, I know plus as positive-closure to distinguish it from
Kleene-closure, but prefer the terms star and plus as they are simpler
and shorter and in context clear. I don't know of anyone who says
x-Kleene-closure, for "x*", but anyone working on regular expresions
immediately knows what "dot-star" means, although many quible over
whether it includes "newline" characters of not. :-)

Thanks,
-Chris