Re: Regular Expression "Terms"

glen herrmannsfeldt <>
Tue, 11 May 2010 09:46:02 +0000 (UTC)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Regular Expression "Terms" (Chris F Clark) (2010-05-06)
Re: Regular Expression "Terms" (lab27) (2010-05-09)
Re: Regular Expression "Terms" (Ralph Boland) (2010-05-10)
Re: Regular Expression "Terms" (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2010-05-11)
Re: Regular Expression "Terms" (Chris F Clark) (2010-05-11)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: glen herrmannsfeldt <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 09:46:02 +0000 (UTC)
Posted-Date: 12 May 2010 00:56:15 EDT

Chris F Clark <> wrote:

> I've been investigating high-performance regular expression matching
> and have come to need some words (terms) to describe particular
> types of simple regular expressions. Obviously, if there are words
> already in use, I would like to use the same ones. Here are the
> words we have been tenatively been using. Please let me know if
> there are alternate words you have seen to describe the same
> concepts.

The TRW/Paracel FDF (Fast Data Finder) systolic array search
processors use PSL (Pattern Specification Language) which is somewhat
more powerful than the usual regular expression in the allowed
patterns. It was designed to be able to compile into microcode for a
systolic array processor for very high performance searching.

There is also some discussion in

on PSL and the naming of different types of text matching terms.

-- glen