Re: Regular Expression "Terms"

Ralph Boland <rpboland@gmail.com>
Mon, 10 May 2010 07:34:20 -0700 (PDT)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Regular Expression "Terms" cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2010-05-06)
Re: Regular Expression "Terms" lee.benfield@gmail.com (lab27) (2010-05-09)
Re: Regular Expression "Terms" rpboland@gmail.com (Ralph Boland) (2010-05-10)
Re: Regular Expression "Terms" gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2010-05-11)
Re: Regular Expression "Terms" cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2010-05-11)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Ralph Boland <rpboland@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 07:34:20 -0700 (PDT)
Posted-Date: 11 May 2010 03:16:47 EDT

On May 6, 3:14 pm, Chris F Clark <c...@shell01.TheWorld.com> wrote:
> I've been investigating high-performance regular expression matching
> and have come to need some words (terms) to describe particular types
> of simple regular expressions.

I am not of any use for the questions you posed but I just wanted to
point out that I have done quite a bit of work in generating finite
state machines from regular expressions efficiently. I have
implemented many of the algorithms in the literature and many of my
own and compared them. This work is incomplete and I have not found
time to work on it recently but when I eventually finish the work I
will release my code as open source and perhaps write some papers
describing my algorithms. Which algorithm is best seems to be highly
dependent upon the nature of the input and finding an algorithm that
works well on all inputs appears difficult.

Regards,

Ralph Boland