Re: editor for creating grammar

George Neuner <>
Sat, 01 May 2010 20:47:56 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
editor for creating grammar (Philipp Kraus) (2010-04-28)
Re: editor for creating grammar (George Neuner) (2010-05-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: George Neuner <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sat, 01 May 2010 20:47:56 -0400
Posted-Date: 02 May 2010 22:23:22 EDT

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 20:04:35 +0200, Philipp Kraus
<> wrote:

>I try to create my own language in EBNF structure. At this time I use
>AntLR for creating the grammar and testing my grammar rules.
>But AntLR seems to be a little bit buggy. Same grammar run in one
>hand perfectly and on the other hand the grammar crashs AntLR down.

Antlr isn't really buggy, but the LL* versions (3 and up) can be
pretty picky about some things. Are you using the AntlrWorks tool to
create your grammar or are you just using a text editor?

It might help if you posted the grammar that breaks.

>Do anyone know a tool for create grammars with a interpreter and
>graphical view of the grammar? I use OS X and Linux and will take
>the rules to C++ with Bison.

Antlr grammars won't work with Bison - they are not compatible.

Most tools do not have an IDE. I'm afraid I don't know of any
Unix/Linux IDEs for working with LR grammars. There are some for
Windows and some which run on JVM (which would work on any platform).