How to back propagate basic block probabilities based on a function name?

DrTodd13 <drtodd13@comcast.net>
Sun, 4 Apr 2010 08:45:56 -0700 (PDT)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
How to back propagate basic block probabilities based on a function na drtodd13@comcast.net (DrTodd13) (2010-04-04)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: DrTodd13 <drtodd13@comcast.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 08:45:56 -0700 (PDT)
Posted-Date: 06 Apr 2010 01:51:51 EDT

I'm writing a compiler and have a situation where I know a priori that
certain function names will only be called in the "slow path." When I
see one of these names, I'd like to set the probability of that basic
block to something low and then propagate the consequences of that
information back up the call graph. (For example, if there is only
one predecessor of a basic block containing a slow path call then that
predecessor should also be slow path.) Does anybody have any thoughts
on how to combine this back propagation with the natural downward
propagation of basic block probabilities.