How to implement dynamic typing?

David Belier <davidbleier@hotmail.com>
Fri, 2 Apr 2010 16:38:05 +0100

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
How to implement dynamic typing? davidbleier@hotmail.com (David Belier) (2010-04-02)
Re: How to implement dynamic typing? gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2010-04-06)
Re: How to implement dynamic typing? sleepdev@gmail.com (andy johnson) (2010-04-06)
Re: How to implement dynamic typing? rpw3@rpw3.org (2010-04-06)
Re: How to implement dynamic typing? bartc@freeuk.com (bartc) (2010-04-06)
Re: How to implement dynamic typing? paul.biggar@gmail.com (Paul Biggar) (2010-04-06)
Re: How to implement dynamic typing? iant@google.com (Ian Lance Taylor) (2010-04-06)

From: David Belier <davidbleier@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 16:38:05 +0100
Posted-Date: 06 Apr 2010 01:47:13 EDT

Recently I finished chapter 7 of the dragon book (2nd edition) but I
still don't understand how to implement dynamic typing. I don't get
how you are supposed to store the type information with each variable
and check it every time using an acceptable amount of resources and
time. Can someone please name papers or websites to read?

Note: I have a strong C++ background and know x86 assembler. I can
imagine a way to implement it doubling memory requirements and making
the program dead slow in the process so there must be better ways. In
the past I have also used Java and Python for small programs (CS
course and writing file converters). They seemed to show reasonable
performance.