Re: Writing Documentation

jgd@cix.compulink.co.uk
Wed, 10 Feb 2010 16:34:07 -0600

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Writing Documentation herron.philip@googlemail.com (Philip Herron) (2010-02-10)
Re: Writing Documentation jgd@cix.compulink.co.uk (2010-02-10)
Re: Writing Documentation herron.philip@googlemail.com (Philip Herron) (2010-02-16)
Re: Writing Documentation jgd@cix.compulink.co.uk (2010-02-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: jgd@cix.compulink.co.uk
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 16:34:07 -0600
Posted-Date: 13 Feb 2010 11:27:57 EST

philip@googlemail.com (Philip Herron) wrote:

> But I am finding it difficult in what way to document all of this in a
> thesis style paper, are there any styles or things to think about when
> writing formally about all of this? Should i just write as if its like
> a tutorial into everything about my language? Or is there formal ways
> of doing this?

"It depends ...."

Even in a thesis, it may well be appropriate to start with a brief
tutorial to introduce the basic concepts of the language. Then one needs
to describe each concept and each construct clearly, although probably
in rather less detail than a language standard would.

For examples, your best bet look at successful published books: the
tutorial in _The C programming Language_ by Kernigan & Ritchie is
noticeably good and has been imitated several times.

John