Re: patenting compiler technology

Paul Biggar <paul.biggar@gmail.com>
Sat, 16 Jan 2010 11:03:24 -0800

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
patenting compiler technology zjane12@gmail.com (zeng jane) (2010-01-04)
Re: patenting compiler technology derek@_NOSPAM_knosof.co.uk (Derek M. Jones) (2010-01-05)
Re: patenting compiler technology rcmetzger@grandecom.net (rcmetzger) (2010-01-06)
Re: patenting compiler technology gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2010-01-11)
Re: patenting compiler technology gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2010-01-14)
Re: patenting compiler technology jeremy.wright@microfocus.com (Jeremy Wright) (2010-01-14)
Re: patenting compiler technology paul.biggar@gmail.com (Paul Biggar) (2010-01-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Paul Biggar <paul.biggar@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 11:03:24 -0800
Posted-Date: 16 Jan 2010 20:42:01 EST

[Note, most of this stuff I'm not certain about, they're just nuggets
stored in my head somewhere.]

One effect of patenting algorithms is that they don't make it into
free compilers. I know GCC actively avoids patented algorithms, and
remember reading about one algorithm they would prefer to have used
that they couldn't (I think it was for register allocation).

I believe a problematic patented compiler algorithm is Steengaard's
unification based alias analysis. It was (originally at least) faster
than Andersen's, but patented and so avoided.

A point to consider for compiler patents is that no-one really makes
any money off compilers...

Paul

--
Paul Biggar