Re: A novice in compiler construction wants feedback

Derek <derekrss@yahoo.ca>
Fri, 4 Sep 2009 10:29:09 -0700 (PDT)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
A novice in compiler construction wants feedback programmer@telia.com (Marcus Johansson) (2009-09-03)
Re: A novice in compiler construction wants feedback derekrss@yahoo.ca (Derek) (2009-09-04)
Re: A novice in compiler construction wants feedback programmer@telia.com (Marcus Johansson) (2009-09-05)
Re: A novice in compiler construction wants feedback bc@freeuk.com (Bart) (2009-09-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Derek <derekrss@yahoo.ca>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 10:29:09 -0700 (PDT)
Posted-Date: 05 Sep 2009 00:06:31 EDT

On Sep 3, 8:27 am, "Marcus Johansson" <program...@telia.com> wrote:
> In real life I work as programmer at a company that produces casual
download
> games. But for a year or so I've spent my friday nights on writing my own
> little programming language. It's just a simple BASIC style thing, but I'm
> still kind of proud of it since I had no experience in compiler
construction
> before I wrote the very first line of code. The compiler translates the
> source code into an assembler-like instruction set and then adds these
> instructions to an executable file that interprets itself (is there a name
> for this technique?).
>
> But why am I writing? I guess I simply want some feedback, since I have no
> one to discuss this kind of work with. The compiler can be downloaded from
> naalaa.webs.com/naalaa.zip. It comes with an editor with syntax highlithting
> and some example code. And, yeah, it's for windows.

We'd love to comment but unfortunately there isn't much to comment on.
The problem is that you've not published the source code to the
compiler itself and hence we can only comment on whether it works or
not. Congratulations-- it does -- but you already knew that. We can't
give you the more useful feedback of commenting on how it works or
give any feedback on possible improvements or different methods, since
we have no way of knowing at the moment short of disassembling the
compile.exe file or just plain guessing. And I doubt that many of us
are going to go to that amount of trouble.

So, if you want useful feedback, you'll need to show us the source.

Cheers

Derek