Re: C compiler supporting arbitrary bit width integral datatypes?

Jeremy Bennett <jeremy.bennett@embecosm.com>
Thu, 11 Jun 2009 12:14:57 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
C compiler supporting arbitrary bit width integral datatypes? ihusar@fit.vutbr.cz (2009-06-07)
Re: C compiler supporting arbitrary bit width integral datatypes? bfranke@inf.ed.ac.uk (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Bj=F6rn_Franke?=) (2009-06-08)
Re: C compiler supporting arbitrary bit width integral datatypes? harold.aptroot@gmail.com (Harold Aptroot) (2009-06-08)
Re: C compiler supporting arbitrary bit width integral datatypes? jeremy.bennett@embecosm.com (Jeremy Bennett) (2009-06-11)
Re: C compiler supporting arbitrary bit width integral datatypes? bfranke@inf.ed.ac.uk (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Bj=F6rn_Franke?=) (2009-06-11)
Re: C compiler supporting arbitrary bit width integral datatypes? jeremy.bennett@embecosm.com (Jeremy Bennett) (2009-06-11)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Jeremy Bennett <jeremy.bennett@embecosm.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 12:14:57 -0500
Posted-Date: 14 Jun 2009 19:10:30 EDT

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 15:21:03 +0100, BjC6rn Franke wrote:

> Jeremy Bennett wrote:
>
>> Or use the language behind the CoWare tools, SystemC, which has a free
>> and open source reference implementation (www.systemc.org). It's a
>> template library for C++ aimed at hardware modeling. Standardized as
>> IEEE 1666, which unusually for the IEEE can be downloaded free.
>
> As far as I know the language behind CoWare's Processor Designer is LISA
> . On Coware's website it says:
>
> "The key to Processor Designer's automation is its Language for
> Instruction Set Architectures, LISA 2.0. In contrast to SystemC, which
> has been developed for efficient specification of systems, LISA 2.0 is a
> processor description language that incorporates all necessary
> processor-specific components such as register files, pipelines, pins,
> memory and caches, and instructions. "

That is true. LISA is used to specify the processor, so this will be
simpler if the OP can obtain the tools and the LISA design philosophy is
suitable for the project. I believe the CoWare tools are now all
integrated, and the simulation models generated will be in SystemC.

> I'm not quite sure how SystemC might help the original poster in
> constructing the compiler targeting arbitrary bit-width integers.

I'd focussed on the simulator part of the question. However, since
SystemC provides a set of types of arbitrary width it will be of general
use in this field.

The OP might like to look at Target Compiler Technologies
(www.retarget.com), who have tools to design ASIPs and generate the
compiler tool chain automatically.

HTH,

Jeremy