Re: How to auto-parallelize a binary code?

Louis Krupp <lkrupp_nospam@indra.com.invalid>
Sat, 06 Jun 2009 17:24:35 -0600

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
How to auto-parallelize a binary code? xueyunzhi@gmail.com (yunzhi) (2009-06-05)
Re: How to auto-parallelize a binary code? lkrupp_nospam@indra.com.invalid (Louis Krupp) (2009-06-06)
Re: How to auto-parallelize a binary code? jgd@cix.compulink.co.uk (2009-06-07)
Re: How to auto-parallelize a binary code? jeremy.wright@microfocus.com (Jeremy Wright) (2009-06-08)
Re: How to auto-parallelize a binary code? gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2009-06-08)
Re: How to auto-parallelize a binary code? cr88192@hotmail.com (cr88192) (2009-06-12)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Louis Krupp <lkrupp_nospam@indra.com.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2009 17:24:35 -0600
Posted-Date: 06 Jun 2009 19:46:19 EDT

yunzhi wrote:
> We have an important single-threaded application. It was developed
> several years ago but the source code is gone.
>
> Now for other reason, we want to immigrate this application to a
> multi-core computer with Core cpu, which has 4 cores. Is there any
> chance to improve performncce of this application on new computer
> without re-compliation?
>
> I do know the single-thread performance will be improved. But how to
> auto-parallelize this binary code? Are there any tools or related
> research?

Start rewriting the application *now*. Without the source code, all it
takes is one change of computer architecture or one incompatible OS
upgrade, and you won't be able to run your app at all. Don't wait until
this is about to happen; do the rewrite while you still have plenty of
time to compare results with the old version and make sure you've got it
right.

(Decompilers have been discussed in this group. I don't recall what the
consensus was.)

Louis
[Except in rare occasions with highly stylized code, I've never seen a
decompiler that was much more than a disassembler with a little syntactic
sugar. I agree that in the long run there's no substitute for rewriting
the program to do what you want it to do. -John]