Re: compiler bugs

anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl)
Sun, 10 May 2009 14:34:56 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Re: compiler bugs gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2009-05-05)
Re: compiler bugs cdg@nullstone.com (Christopher Glaeser) (2009-05-06)
Re: compiler bugs anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2009-05-06)
Re: compiler bugs cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2009-05-07)
Re: compiler bugs barry.j.kelly@gmail.com (Barry Kelly) (2009-05-10)
Re: compiler bugs anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2009-05-10)
Re: behavior-preserving optimization in C, was compiler bugs cdg@nullstone.com (Christopher Glaeser) (2009-05-12)
Re: behavior-preserving optimization in C, was compiler bugs anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2009-05-13)
Re: behavior-preserving optimization in C, was compiler bugs dnovillo@acm.org (Diego Novillo) (2009-05-15)
Re: behavior-preserving optimization in C, was compiler bugs cdg@nullstone.com (Christopher Glaeser) (2009-05-15)
Re: behavior-preserving optimization in C, was compiler bugs mcintosh@cup.hp.com (Nathaniel McIntosh) (2009-05-16)
Re: behavior-preserving optimization in C, was compiler bugs pertti.kellomaki@tut.fi (Pertti Kellomaki) (2009-05-18)

From: anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 14:34:56 GMT
Posted-Date: 12 May 2009 05:04:14 EDT

Chris F Clark <cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com> writes:
>anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl) writes:
>
>> "Christopher Glaeser" <cdg@nullstone.com> writes:
>> [Anton Ertl:]
>>>
>>>In a language like C, the behavior of programs that reference
>>>uninitialized variables can be affected by the slightest change to
>>>register assignments.
>>
>> Not if the unoptimizing compiler initializes all variables to some
>> known value.
>
>The problem with this solution is that there is at least 1 well-known
>algorithmic trick that doesn't work in this case. It is a way to
>initialize a large unbounded array efficiently, when you only use a
>portion of the array in your algorithhm.

The issue under discussions was that the optimizations I mentioned
would change the register allocation, and that would result in changed
values for uninitialized variables and thus altered behaviour. To fix
that one actually does not need to initialize all variables (unlike
what I wrote), only variables that may be born in registers,
i.e. scalars. I don't think that's impractical.

>However, it depends upon being able to not actually initialize the
>array for the unused sections. You find a way to map the array such
>that you can track the "highest" element used and when accessing the
>array, you compare the element you are about to use with the highest
>element initialized so far, and if it is beyond the bound, you
>initialize enough elements to cover the element you are accessing and
>update your tracker.

>I don't know of any optimizers that will insert that kind of trick in
>ones code.

That should be easy to implement, though. The hard part is deciding
when to use that vs. when to initialize everything up-front and avoid
the run-time overhead of checking the bound.

There is an even more extreme case where you don't even need (and
want) initialization when you access it, because you have another way
of validating the contents [briggs&torczon93]. However, AFAIK at that
data structure has not been used much (at least for this purpose),
because there are good alternatives that are less wasteful of memory.

Anyway, at least for the optimizations I mentioned it is not necessary
to initialize arrays.

And yes, as I mentioned, there are certain cases (like out-of-bounds
array accesses) where preservation of behaviour in all cases is
impractical, and the benefits derived from it are vanishingly small.
But still, that's a good ideal for optimizer writers to strive for,
even if they cannot achieve it in all cases.

>So, if you have an algorithm that needs a trick like the above to meet
>its performance promises, then the unoptimizing compiler breaks your
>algorithm (and we don't have a well-known optimization technique that
>fixes that breakage).

For the case you mention, always performing the on-demand
initialization in the compiler would preserve the asymptotic
complexity, but is probably impossible in general in a language like C
that has arbitrary pointer arithmetic.

If the array is really large, a good approach is to just allocate it
with mmap (the run-time system of the language could do this by
itself, if the programmer does not do it explicitly). Then the OS
will perform the on-demand initialization.

- anton

@Article{briggs&torczon93,
    author = "Preston Briggs and Linda Torczon",
    title = "An Efficient Representation for Sparse Sets",
    journal = "ACM Letters on Programming Languages and Systems",
    year = "1993",
    volume = "2",
    number = "1--4",
    pages = "59--69",
    annote = "Describes a set representation that is
asymptotically more
time-efficient than the classical bit-vector for
operations like \emph{clear-set} and \emph{forall},
but needs much more memory. The paper also presents
empirical data from micro-benchmarks that shows that
the \emph{member}, \emph{add-member} and
\emph{delete-member} operations are about three
times slower on an RS/6000 with the new
representation than with the bit-vector
representation. It also presents empirical data from
compilations of several routines, that shows that
the new representation significantly reduces the
register allocation time for these routines."
}
--
M. Anton Ertl
anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at