Re: Guidelines for instruction set design?

kamalpr@gmail.com
Sun, 3 May 2009 10:42:36 -0700 (PDT)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Guidelines for instruction set design? cyril.cressent@gmail.com (2009-04-30)
Re: Guidelines for instruction set design? rose@acm.org (Ken Rose) (2009-05-01)
Re: Guidelines for instruction set design? kamalpr@gmail.com (2009-05-03)
Re: Guidelines for instruction set design? gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2009-05-03)
Re: Guidelines for instruction set design? hsheboul@gmail.com (Hasan Alsheboul) (2009-05-04)
Re: Guidelines for instruction set design? cyril.cressent@gmail.com (2009-05-04)
Re: Guidelines for instruction set design? torbenm@pc-003.diku.dk (2009-05-04)
Re: Guidelines for instruction set design? gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2009-05-05)
Re: Guidelines for instruction set design? bartc@freeuk.com (BartC) (2009-05-05)

From: kamalpr@gmail.com
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 10:42:36 -0700 (PDT)
Posted-Date: 03 May 2009 20:22:53 EDT

On Apr 30, 9:25 pm, cyril.cress...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm currently trying to port LCC to a custom CPU implemented in a
> FPGA. A different person is designing the hardware and instruction
> set.
>
> I was wondering if there are some general guidelines one should
> observe when designing an instruction set so that a C compiler can
> easily be ported to that CPU.

Did you mean that the C compiler should be able to generate optimal
code for the given architecture? If yes or even otherwise -the best
instruction set (proven over the years) is RISC. You can use the MIPS
instruction set free of royalty (in case its a for-profit
implementation) as long as you use only integer operations.

FYI -Pentium/AMD Opteron provides the x86 instruction set for
compatibility reasons, but the x86 instructions are translated to RISC
instructions before they are executed.
[Not really. -John]

> I'm asking because I'm having a hard time porting LCC with the current
> instruction set of our custom CPU.
>
> I've already searched in this group's archive but I couldn't find an
> answer.
>
> I can provide more information on our current instruction set if it
> helps you answer my question, though I don't think it's revelant here.

the current instruction set is not required, but you may want to
elaborate on what exactly is the problem faced by you as of now.

thanks
-kamal