Guidelines for instruction set design?

cyril.cressent@gmail.com
Thu, 30 Apr 2009 09:25:33 -0700 (PDT)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Guidelines for instruction set design? cyril.cressent@gmail.com (2009-04-30)
Re: Guidelines for instruction set design? rose@acm.org (Ken Rose) (2009-05-01)
Re: Guidelines for instruction set design? kamalpr@gmail.com (2009-05-03)
Re: Guidelines for instruction set design? gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2009-05-03)
Re: Guidelines for instruction set design? hsheboul@gmail.com (Hasan Alsheboul) (2009-05-04)
Re: Guidelines for instruction set design? cyril.cressent@gmail.com (2009-05-04)
Re: Guidelines for instruction set design? torbenm@pc-003.diku.dk (2009-05-04)

From: cyril.cressent@gmail.com
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 09:25:33 -0700 (PDT)
Posted-Date: 01 May 2009 19:21:43 EDT

Hello,

I'm currently trying to port LCC to a custom CPU implemented in a
FPGA. A different person is designing the hardware and instruction
set.

I was wondering if there are some general guidelines one should
observe when designing an instruction set so that a C compiler can
easily be ported to that CPU.

I'm asking because I'm having a hard time porting LCC with the current
instruction set of our custom CPU.

I've already searched in this group's archive but I couldn't find an
answer.

I can provide more information on our current instruction set if it
helps you answer my question, though I don't think it's revelant here.

Cyril
[Interesting question. C should be pretty straightforward on anything
with flat byte addressing and enough registers to handle stack frames.
What makes this architecture hard? -John]