RE: compiler bugs

"Quinn Tyler Jackson" <>
Tue, 28 Apr 2009 12:57:33 -0700

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
re: Compiler bugs (David Chase) (2002-01-03)
Re: compiler bugs (Jeremy J Starcher) (2009-04-28)
RE: compiler bugs (Quinn Tyler Jackson) (2009-04-28)
Re: compiler bugs (Jeremy J Starcher) (2009-04-29)
Re: compiler bugs (Walter Banks) (2009-04-30)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Quinn Tyler Jackson" <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 12:57:33 -0700
Posted-Date: 29 Apr 2009 05:15:32 EDT

Jeremy J Starcher said:

> That said, when I come across a problem, I always assume the bug is in my
> code until I can provide a test case that clearly demonstrates that the
> compiler itself is at fault.

I can count on one hand the number of genuine compiler bugs I've been able
to isolate and reproduce well enough to report as official bugs. (Even the
so-called optimization bugs turned out to be my violation of some contract
with the compiler, such as aliasing when I oughtn't have.)

That said, I couldn't count in all the bits of a gigabyte how many times
I've heard programmers (including myself) say: "The *($@&&^ compiler is

Quinn Tyler Jackson