About exploring TLS parallelism

milla.sun@gmail.com
Wed, 25 Mar 2009 11:24:12 -0700 (PDT)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
About exploring TLS parallelism milla.sun@gmail.com (2009-03-25)
Re: About exploring TLS parallelism mayan@bestweb.net (Mayan Moudgill) (2009-03-27)
Re: About exploring TLS parallelism milla.sun@gmail.com (2009-03-30)
Re: About exploring TLS parallelism mayan@bestweb.net (Mayan Moudgill) (2009-03-30)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: milla.sun@gmail.com
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 11:24:12 -0700 (PDT)
Posted-Date: 25 Mar 2009 17:50:44 EDT

As mentioned in some papers, TLS ( Thread-level speculative)
parallelism is an important complementarity to the ILP.
In my view, the TLS parallelism exploration is involved with those
following topics:
program partition policy;
thread spawning policy;
value/branch prediction, memory violation detect technologies, etc
those are used in TLS to help with maximize independent thread;
cost model to drive the TLS considering many facet of overhead such as
synchronization,communication, thread size, cost of misspeculation;
mechanism for misspeculation, eg. thread restart, squash...

I'm a green hand in this field and search for help.
Could anyone point out the misunderstanding of TLS in my opinion and
provide me with a clear picture of the TLS trend or recommend some
good implementations/survey and open research project of TLS ?
Which topic in the above is worthy of studying ?
And, does research on TLS has a future or it just has been expired as
too many works on it?

Thanks all!
[I'd think a lot of the VLIW trace scheduling work would be
relevant here. -John]