Re: Algol 68 Genie Mark 16 - An Algol 68 interpreter

glen herrmannsfeldt <gah@ugcs.caltech.edu>
Tue, 24 Mar 2009 20:33:35 +0000 (UTC)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Algol 68 Genie Mark 16 - An Algol 68 interpreter algol68g@xs4all.nl (Marcel van der Veer) (2009-03-24)
Re: Algol 68 Genie Mark 16 - An Algol 68 interpreter sinu.nayak2001@gmail.com (Srinu) (2009-03-24)
Re: Algol 68 Genie Mark 16 - An Algol 68 interpreter gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2009-03-24)
Re: Algol W, was Algol 68 Genie Mark 16 - An Algol 68 interpreter gdw@wave.co.nz (Glyn Webster) (2009-03-25)
Re: Algol W, was Algol 68 Genie Mark 16 - An Algol 68 interpreter ArarghMail903@Arargh.com (2009-03-25)
Re: Algol W, was Algol 68 Genie Mark 16 - An Algol 68 interpreter gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2009-03-25)
Re: Algol W tk@ic.unicamp.br (Tomasz Kowaltowski) (2009-03-27)
Re: Algol W, was Algol 68 Genie Mark 16 - An Algol 68 interpreter gdw@wave.co.nz (Glyn Webster) (2009-03-30)

From: glen herrmannsfeldt <gah@ugcs.caltech.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 20:33:35 +0000 (UTC)
Posted-Date: 24 Mar 2009 18:09:17 EDT

Srinu <sinu.nayak2001@gmail.com> wrote:
> Many many thanks for the noble attempt. Its nice to see the latest
> compiler for a beautiful language. When we speak about Algol 68, I
> always remember Algol 60. What about elder brother Algol 60? Does
> there exist any attempt to preserve Algol 60 too?

I have also wondered about ALGOL-W, but it seems to be gone. The
users manual for the S/360 ALGOL-W compiler that Wirth wrote in PL/360
is available, but I have found no indication that source or object
code is available anywhere.

I have also wondered about the 7090 BALGOL compiler, but I believe
that was even rarer than ALGOL-W.

Otherwise, OS/360 and TOPS-10 had ALGOL compilers, I believe ALGOL-60
but I could be wrong on that. Both should run under emulators of the
appropriate systems.

-- glen
[OS/360 Algol F and TOPS-10 Algol were both Algol 60, since they were
both written before Algol 68 was done. Algol F had dreadful performance
due to making system calls at every block entry and exit to allocate
and free storage, but there were some patches from Princeton that fixed it.
PDP-10 Algol worked pretty well and I used it for a fair amount of
homework. I looked for Algol W recently and agree that if it still
exists, it's not on the net. -John]