Re: Compiler Tool with Error Recovery

Vladimir Makarov <vmakarov@redhat.com>
Tue, 17 Feb 2009 12:30:14 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compiler Tool with Error Recovery jmensch@shaw.ca (Julian Mensch) (2009-02-12)
Re: Compiler Tool with Error Recovery m.helvensteijn@gmail.com (2009-02-14)
Re: Compiler Tool with Error Recovery vmakarov@redhat.com (Vladimir Makarov) (2009-02-17)
Re: Compiler Tool with Error Recovery jaluber@gmail.com (Johannes) (2009-02-19)
Re: Compiler Tool with Error Recovery jmensch@shaw.ca (Julian Mensch) (2009-02-21)
Re: Compiler Tool with Error Recovery llib-xoc@sbcglobal.net (Bill Cox) (2009-02-25)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Vladimir Makarov <vmakarov@redhat.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 12:30:14 -0500
Posted-Date: 17 Feb 2009 16:08:50 EST

Julian Mensch wrote:
> I am hoping someone here can point me in the right direction
> on a compiler tool. I have an existing script language defined in
> a hacked version of ACCENT, but I am beginning to feel my
> needs exceed what ACCENT can provide and am thus considering
> porting my grammar to a different compiler tool. A primary
> difficulty here is error recovery, which ACCENT doesn't do at
> all.
>
> My requirements are:
> * parse ambigious grammar like ACCENT and Elkhound, using
> either GLR, Earley or something similar.

Earley parser from project cocom (http://cocom.sf.net) satisfies a lot
of your requirements

http://cocom.sourceforge.net/ammunition-13.html

It is a pretty fast parser (>100K lines of C per 1 sec on modern
processors) with minimal cost error recovering and abstract tree
generation described by simple syntax directed translation.

It can generate one abstract or all abstract trees (in a compact form)
for ambigious grammar languages. It also can generate minimal cost
abstract trees.