Re: Burroughs/Unisys architecture, was New assembly language instructions to support OO languages?

Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettrich1@aol.com>
Sun, 07 Dec 2008 05:21:08 +0100

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
New assembly language instructions to support OO languages? tony@my.net (Tony) (2008-12-04)
Re: New assembly language instructions to support OO languages? tmk@netvision.net.il (Michael Tiomkin) (2008-12-04)
Re: New assembly language instructions to support OO languages? DrDiettrich1@aol.com (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2008-12-05)
Re: New assembly language instructions to support OO languages? David.Schroth@unisys.com (David W Schroth) (2008-12-05)
Re: Burroughs/Unisys architecture, was New assembly language instructi DrDiettrich1@aol.com (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2008-12-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettrich1@aol.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.arch
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 05:21:08 +0100
Posted-Date: 07 Dec 2008 08:34:22 EST

David W Schroth schrieb:

> The system I work on is both segmented and paged. The Page Table
> (note singular) consumes only a small fraction of memory. Being a
> global Page Table, there is no penalty incurred when switching
> threads.

How does your system avoid an performance loss of 50% or more, when all
memory references go through an address mapping table that again resides
in memory?

> The time to load a segment register is a few cycles, and
> doesn't seem to normally impact performance.
>
> I can't make any sense of your last sentence no matter how I try.

While a small page table can reside in a separate MMU, a limited
number of segment registers or descriptors in a fixed-size memory area
doesn't make much sense to me. How does your model differ from
multi-level indirect references, with regards to execution speed?
What's the benefit of using segment registers, instead of using base
addresses in any other address register?

DoDi