Re: Instruction pipe line delay?

Bill Cox <llib-xoc@sbcglobal.net>
Sat, 29 Nov 2008 20:41:51 -0800

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Instruction pipe line delay? ayewinoung@googlemail.com (2008-11-28)
Re: Instruction pipe line delay? llib-xoc@sbcglobal.net (Bill Cox) (2008-11-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Bill Cox <llib-xoc@sbcglobal.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 20:41:51 -0800
Posted-Date: 01 Dec 2008 06:59:56 EST

ayewinoung@googlemail.com wrote:

As I remember it, the MIPS port of gcc deos some of this - a single
delay slot following a brenahc, I believe.

If that doesn't help, I'd suggest post-processing the assembler code
with a peephole optimizer. After each non-delay ALU instruction, it
would look ahead for one or two legitimate instructions to propagate
backwards into the delay slot. For branch instructions, you look
backwards for one or two instructions to fill the delay slots with.

There *are* instructions which can be used to fill the delay slots,
aren't there? ALU instructions not involving any of the registers
mentioned in the first instruction, for example?

IHTH,
Bill