Re: Overloaded logic operators

"Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de>
Mon, 24 Nov 2008 09:59:26 +0100

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Overloaded logic operators mike@mike-austin.com (Mike Austin) (2008-11-23)
Re: Overloaded logic operators mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de (Dmitry A. Kazakov) (2008-11-24)
Re: Overloaded logic operators torbenm@pc-003.diku.dk (2008-11-24)
Re: Overloaded logic operators bc@freeuk.com (Bartc) (2008-11-24)
Re: Overloaded logic operators arnold@skeeve.com (2008-11-25)
Re: Overloaded logic operators mike@mike-austin.com (Mike Austin) (2008-11-25)

From: "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 09:59:26 +0100
Posted-Date: 24 Nov 2008 18:00:15 EST

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 13:13:28 -0800, Mike Austin wrote:

> In many languages, logic operators "and" and "or" have been overloaded to
> handle more than booleans. For example:
>
> x = x or 0 # if x is nil, 0
> x and x.foo() # if x is not nil, call foo
> x = x > 0 # if x is > 0, x, else false

Is "=" an assignment or equality here? What are the association priorities
of the operations "=", ">" and "or"? What are the types involved? Do you
mean short circuit operations, which do not evaluate their arguments
eagerly?

> It enables you do to tricks like this:
>
> x = -1 < x < 1 or 0
>
> but it also means your booleans are values, and you can't test "if x == true",
> but only "if x != nil"

Can you explain this? How Booleans cannot be values? To me the operation
"!=" must yield a result. This result has a value, that value has a type,
Boolean, I suggest.

As for macro expressions -1 < x < 1 or 0, which I suppose should read:

(-1 < x) and (idem < 1) or (idem < 0)

here idem denotes the value of the expression x (evaluated strictly once),
you would need a lot of work to make such macros working. Some time ago I
played with the idea for a while, but came to the conclusion that it would
not be worth the efforts and could be very confusing.
--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov