Announcing CookCC lexer/parser generator

Heng Yuan <>
Thu, 13 Nov 2008 01:16:04 -0800

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Announcing CookCC lexer/parser generator (Heng Yuan) (2008-11-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Heng Yuan <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 01:16:04 -0800
Posted-Date: 13 Nov 2008 05:51:33 EST

I would like to announce the CookCC lexer/parser (LALR (1)) generator
project. It is under BSD license and it is located at

This project is written in Java and currently generates Java / XML /
text output. Its lexer performance is pretty good (using fastwc example
from Flex) for Java. Other output languages should be fairly easily
added since CookCC uses a powerful template engine.

For input, CookCC accepts XML as well as Java annotation for specifying

The unique feature of CookCC is its ability to accept Java annotation as
input, which makes it significantly easier to develop lexer/parser for
Java. I hope that you will like this feature. A class in CookCC has
already taken advantage of this feature.

Currently, there isn't an AST generator, which will be worked on once I
am less busy. Suggestions are welcome.

There are a number of test cases (which also serve as examples) on the
web site.

I am sure that there will be bugs etc. Please don't hesitate to report
me any bugs or offer suggestions.

I am also looking for people who could help developing test cases, or
creating new target languages. Contact me if you are interested (use
the gmail address).

Heng Yuan