Re: Writing a compiler

Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettrich1@aol.com>
Thu, 23 Oct 2008 02:38:28 +0200

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Writing a compiler andresjriofrio@gmail.com (andresj) (2008-10-20)
Re: Writing a compiler DrDiettrich1@aol.com (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2008-10-23)
Re: Writing a compiler ademakov@gmail.com (Aleksey Demakov) (2008-10-23)
Re: Writing a compiler torbenm@pc-003.diku.dk (2008-10-23)
Re: Writing a compiler Juergen.Kahrs@vr-web.de (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=FCrgen_Kahrs?=) (2008-10-23)
Re: Writing a compiler m.collado@lml.ls.fi.upm.es (Manuel Collado) (2008-10-24)
Re: Writing a compiler Ibeam2000@gmail.com (Nick) (2008-10-26)
Re: Writing a compiler rajaram.officemails@gmail.com (RR) (2008-10-26)

From: Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettrich1@aol.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 02:38:28 +0200
Posted-Date: 23 Oct 2008 18:04:48 EDT

andresj schrieb:

> * I need help in finding an appropiate way of structuring my XML. Any
> ideas/links?

Use the semantic structure: subroutines, statements, expressions, terms.

> The next part is where I need more help in: how to convert this tree
> into assembly language.

Depends on the target machine architecture and instruction set. The
hardware also dictates the interrupt table layout, memory management
and other privileged tasks and instructions. You may be better off
with giving such code immediately in assembly language, or in a
runtime library written in assembly language.

> * Is there any documentation on this part of writing a compiler?

"Register allocation" comes into mind...

> This compiler will not need to be fast (might be written in Python or
> Ruby or Java---although I don't like Java that much---, instead of C
> or C++, which is counterintuitive for me); I will write a new compiler
> in the language I am creating (kind of what was done for C.)

When you want to write operating systems, you need an linker which can
produce something loadable by the bootstrap loader (BIOS). The compiler
is less important, you can use almost any C compiler for your first
experiments.

DoDi