Re: Debug optimized code

anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl)
Sat, 04 Oct 2008 13:12:41 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Re: Debug optimized code gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2008-09-20)
Re: Debug optimized code DrDiettrich1@aol.com (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2008-09-21)
Re: Debug optimized code sh006d3592@blueyonder.co.uk (Stephen Horne) (2008-09-22)
Re: Debug optimized code gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2008-09-23)
Re: Debug optimized code walter@bytecraft.com (Walter Banks) (2008-09-25)
Re: Debug optimized code kamalpr@hp.com (kamal) (2008-10-01)
Re: Debug optimized code anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2008-10-04)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2008 13:12:41 GMT
Posted-Date: 04 Oct 2008 16:44:56 EDT

kamal <kamalpr@hp.com> writes:
> I am not sure when you will hit a case that program behavior got
>altered by a valid optimization strategy -unless you are debugging the
>compler/filing a bug against the compiler vendor instead of the
>application writer.

Nowadays it's pretty easy to hit a case where the behavior of the
program is as intended when you compile without optimization, but is
different when you compile with optimization. Just use C as a source
language and gcc as compiler (and I guess that this also applies to
C++ and some other C and C++ compilers). And the gcc maintainers
don't even consider this as a flaw (and certainly not as a bug) in
their compiler. They will just say that your program has no meaning
because it does not conform to the standard, so they can compile it to
anything they want. One can find at least one violation of the C
standard in virtually every serious C program, so ...

- anton
--
M. Anton Ertl
anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at